Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Family history continued...


I had to add the informational comment from my cousin Karen.  I did not know the following and found it very interesting:

Hi Anita, cousin Karen here (Ed's daughter). Great documentation & history!
Did you know that Grandpa initially entered the US illegally, through Mexico, to see if he could find work? Grandma's ring was sold for funds. Then he went back to Austria to get Grandma, your dad, and Steve. It is sad that citizenship judges told immigrants to "Americanize" their names. One brother became Wood, one Smith, I think. I have as photo of Uncle Eddie's "Massiczek" mailbox.

Did your dad tell you that in 1931, the family traveled by train to NY, looking for work? NY sent them right back to CA, paying their passage. My dad chuckled while telling us that.

THANK YOU COUSIN!!
Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment