Monday, January 2, 2012

True Grit: Then and now



Just last week I was persuaded to view the new version of “True Grit”.  I was never very interested in doing so because I felt that trying to redo a classic like this one would be futile.  Growing up watching John Wayne, I was a little narrow-minded toward the thought of someone else trying to replay his part.  

Nonetheless, I was reassured that this remake was worth watching, so I did.  I reviewed the old classic with John Wayne and three days later, I watched the new movie.

I must say, this was a wonderful movie.  The undisturbed, wide and spanning scenery shots were awesome, giving a nostalgic feeling of the old west.  Much care was given to every detail and authentication of the time period. 
 
Some of the scenes were much more graphic compared to the bloodless shots of the old “shoot ‘em ups,” but depicted a less “cheesy,” more realistic feeling.

The acting was superb.  Hailee Steinfield played Mattie and did a great job with the part.  Fearful, but just sassy enough to make you fall in love with own “True Grit!”  And Jeff Bridges was incredible.  He was nothing like John Wayne, but was a perfect match for Rooster Cogburn.

There are many differences and each movie has its own personality.  There will always be a place for an old classic, but there is room for perfection, too.   In any case, I have to hand it to Ethan Coen and Joel Coen and the cast in making a perfect movie.

1 comment:

  1. Your thoughts on these two films echo my own. I was, at first, reluctant to see the new version until I realized who made it. It became an instant favorite of mine--one of the best films in recent history.

    ReplyDelete